Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Kraken vs Captain Morgan

Good morning everyone!!! Today I am doing a comparison of two different spiced rums. Captain Morgan and Kraken! They are both favorites of mine. It's really hard to do a comparison of these two spiced rums together. specially since one is dark and one is light.


                     $21.00                                                                           $19.99

Obviously by looking at them you can tell that one is a darker rum and the other is an amber.  The tastes are different as well. Kraken has more of a spicy flavor than Captain. By tasting both of these on there own, Kraken has more vanilla finish and to me that is everything... haha. I love vanilla. Captain has more of a vanilla in the beginning, and has a stronger alcohol burn. 

Captain is more the rum to go for a party where I want to get a lot of people drunk. Kraken is the rum I use to sip on and have a relaxing cocktail. 

I'm not saying that Captain is a bad spiced rum. This is my personal opinion and What I would use them both for.

These prices are Oklahoma prices and online prices mixed. 


If you like to see more reviews hit the G+1 button at the bottom!
Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. To make a fair comparison, I would recommend a taste comparison between Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum up against Kraken Black Spiced Rum.
    Let me try and explain ... The rum category in present day is organized into four separate segments which I think is important to understand: White Rum (ex. Bacardi Superior & Captain Morgan White Rum); Spiced Rum (ex. Bacardi Oakheart & Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum); Flavored Rums (ex. Cruzan flavors & Bacardi flavors like Bacardi Razz, etc); and last Dark/Gold Rums (ex. Kraken & Captain Black Spiced Rums). It's important to understand the difference between each rum segment because individually all have a unique profile different from the rest in regards to geography of where the liquid is produced, spices and flavors used, the different distilling processes, aging/maturing, the alcohol by volume %, etc.
    I will only touch on one of these difference ... For example, you compared Captain Original Spiced Rum which is a 70 proof product (35% alcohol by volume) to Kraken Black Spiced Rum which believe it or not is 94 proof (47% abv) ... not that I recommend it, but I'm pretty sure the Kraken will be doing more damage at a party than the Captain Original Spiced. Different category all together, you see?
    Now in terms of the black/gold rum segment, the Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum is 94.3 proof (47.15% abv), it has similar tasting notes like the vanilla finish you mentioned above in terms of the Kraken, and both products are a more 'on the rock' sipping experience.
    I apologize for my lengthy response.. I read your blog quickly and I couldn't help sharing the small spirits knowledge I do have. All in all, I hope you get the chance to do a taste comparison between the Captain Black and Kraken Black rums.. Either way, I'm curious what you'll favor more??

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and your knowledge. If I am going to do more comparisons and review i'm going to need to do them correctly. lol. I will look into getting some Captain Black. I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Very interesting review, and the comment by MissKP is spot on. Both your review and her comment make a wonderful read. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

    FYI: "...By tasting both of these on there own..." should read their own, not there own.

    ReplyDelete